NDA Exam Pattern 2018 – The exam pattern of NDA 2018 has been prescribed by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). With the help of NDA exam pattern 2018, candidates can get idea regarding the number of subjects, time duration, total marks and marking scheme. According to NDA 2018 exam pattern, the written examination comprises two subjects – Mathematics and General Ability Test (GAT). Each paper is conducted for 2 ½ hours duration. Total 900 marks has been allotted for written examination. Candidates qualifying the written examination are called for SSB Interview. The SSB Interview carries total 900 marks. NDA 2 is scheduled to be conducted on September 9, 2018. Read below for more details on NDA exam pattern 2018.
Highlights of NDA 2018 Exam Pattern
- Stages of exam – The examination is conducted in two stages - Written and SSB Interview. Those qualifying the written examination are called for SSB Interview. Final selection is done based on a candidate’s performance in written examination and interview.
- Mode of Exam – The written examination as per NDA exam pattern is conducted in Pen and Paper mode
- Duration of the exam – The total time duration of the exam is 5 hours. Each paper is held for 2 ½ hours.
- Exam timings – According to NDA exam pattern, the exam will be held in two shifts. Mathematics paper will be held from 10 am to 12.30 pm while GAT will be conducted from 2 pm to 4.30 pm.
- Number of papers – There are two papers – Paper 1 Mathematics and Paper 2 General Ability Test. The GAT section is further divided into two sub-sections – English and General Knowledge.
- Number of questions – Mathematics section carries 120 questions while GAT will have 150 questions.
- Type of questions – All questions in both the subjects will be objective type. There will be four options out of which candidates have to select one as correct answer.
- Language of question paper – The medium of question paper will be in English and Hindi
- Marking Scheme – For each correct answer in Mathematics candidates will get 2.5 marks. Candidates for correct answer in GAT will get 4 marks. For wrong answer, 1/3 of the marks assigned to that question will be deducted as penalty. If a candidate mark more than one answer then it will be treated as wrong answer. If any question is left blank then no mark will be deducted as penalty.
- Total marks – Marks allotted for Mathematics section is 300 while it is 600 for GAT according to NDA 2018 exam pattern. The English part of GAT section carries 200 marks while the General Knowledge part carries 400 marks.
NDA Exam Pattern
The SSB procedure consists of two stages - stage I and stage II. Only those candidates who qualified stage 1 can appear for stage 2. The stages of SSB Interview are explained below:
The stage 1 of SSB Interview comprises Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests and Picture Perception and Description Test (PP&DT).
The stage 2 of SSB Interview comprises Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and the Conference. These tests are conducted over 4 days.
NDA 2018 Syllabus
The syllabus of NDA outlines the topics from Mathematics and GAT that candidates need to prepare for the exam. The syllabus has defined by the exam conducting authority, UPSC. Candidates can check below the topics given in the syllabus.
Topics asked in NDA paper
Algebra, matrices and determinants, Trigonometry, Analytical Geometry of two and three dimensions, differential calculus, Statistics and Probability, Vector Algebra and Integral calculus and differential equations
English, Physics, Chemistry, General Science, Social Studies, Geography and Current Events
Union Public Service Commission has announced the subject-wise distribution of marks. Candidates can find the same below -
NDA Paper Pattern: Subject-wise distribution of marks
History, Freedom Movement, etc.
Candidates can also check the graphical representation of marks distribution of the NDA question paper.