APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern and Syllabus 2019 – Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC) has prescribed the exam pattern and syllabus of APPSC Group (1) 2019 along with the notification. The exam pattern of APPSC Group 1 has been modified as a Telugu paper carrying 150 marks has been added for Mains exam. APPSC Group 1 exam pattern and syllabus 2019 provides the list of papers, topics, sections, distribution of marks for the various exam stages. APPSC Group 1 exam is conducted in three stages – Prelims, Mains and Interview. The screening test is held for 240 marks and comprises only objective type questions. As per APPSC Group 1 exam pattern and syllabus, Mains exam will consist of conventional type questions. Check here detailed APPSC Group 1 exam pattern and syllabus 2019.
APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern 2019
The exam pattern of APPSC Group 1 is declared by Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission. The exam pattern provides the number of papers, sections, topics, marking scheme and more. APPSC Group 1 exam pattern 2019 for all stages of the exam has been provided below.
APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern 2019 – Prelims
The prelims test is a screening test and comprises only objective type questions. The exam will be conducted for a duration of 4 hours. The exam pattern of APPSC Group 1 prelims exam has been given in the table below.
Number of questions
APPSC Group 1 Exam Pattern 2019 – Mains and Interview
APPSC Group 1 Mains exam will contain only conventional type questions. The exam consists of seven papers of which the first two papers pertaining to Telugu and English are qualifying in nature. The exam will be conducted for total 825 marks. However, marks allotted for the paper on Telugu and English will not be calculated. Candidates will be allotted 180 minutes to complete each paper. The interview session will be conducted on the same day after the completion of the written exam. Therefore, candidates will be selected for the next stage of the exam on the basis of the remaining five papers and interview. Candidates can check the exam pattern of Mains exam from the table below.
APPSC Group 1 Syllabus 2019
On the basis of APPSC Group 1 notification, the syllabus of each stage of the exam has been given below:
APPSC Group (1) 2019 Syllabus – Prelims
The Prelims exam will consist of objective type questions pertaining to General Studies and General Aptitude. The standard of questions asked in the exam will be identical to that of graduation. The topics required for the exam stage are as follows.
Paper 1 General Studies: This paper contains four parts - A. History and Culture, B. Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations, C. Indian and Andhra Pradesh Economy and Planning, and D. Geography.
A. History and Culture
- Indus Valley Civilisation - Features, Sites, Society, Cultural History, Art and Religion. Vedic Age - Mahajanapadas, Religions: Jainism and Buddhism, The Maghadas, the Mauryan, Foreign Invasions on India and their impact, the Kushans, The Sathavahanas, the Sangam Age, the Sungas, the Gupta Empire: Administration, Social, Religious and Economic Conditions - Art, Architecture, Literature, Science and Technology.
- The Kanauj and their Contributions, South Indian Dynasties: The Badami Chalukyas, the Eastarn Chalukyas, the Rastrakutas, the Kalyani Chalukyas, the Cholas, the Hoyasalas, the Yedavas, the Kakatiyas and the Reddis
- The Delhi Sultanate, the Vijaynagar Empire and the Mughal Empire, the Bhakti Movement and Sufism: Administration, Economy, Society, Religion, Literature, Arts and Architecture
- The European Trading companies in India: their struggle for supremacy with special reference to Bengal, Bombay, Madras, Mysore, Andhra and Nizam, Governor-Generals and Viceroys
- Indian War of Independence of 1857 - Origin, Nature, Causes, Consequences and Significance with special reference to Concerned State, Religious and Social Reform Movements in the 19th century in India and Concerned State, India's Freedom Movement, Revolutionaries in India and Abroad
- Mahatma Gandhi, Thoughts, Principles and Philosophy, Important Satyagrahas, the Role of Sardar Patel, Subash Chandrabose in Freedom Movement and Post-independence Consolidation, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, Life and Contribution to the making of Indian Constitution, India after Independence: Reorganization of the States in India
B. Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations
- Indian Constitution: Evolution, Features, Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Fundamental Duties, Directive Principles of State Policy, Amendments, Significant Provisions and Basic Structure
- Functions and Responsibilities of the Union and the States, Parliament and State Legislatures: Structure, Function, Power and Privileges, Issues and Challenges pertaining to Federal Structure: Devolution of Power and Finances up to local levels and Challenges therein
- Constitutional Authorities: Powers, Functions and Responsibilities - Panchayati Raj - Public Policy and Governance
- Impact of Liberalization, Privatization and Globalization on Governance - Statutory, Regulatory and Quasi-judicial bodies
- Rights Issues
- India's Foreign Policy: International Relations, Important Institutions, Agencies and Fora - Structure and Mandate, Important Policies and Programmes of Central and State Governments
C. Indian and Andhra Pradesh Economy and Planning
- Basic characteristics of Indian Economy as a developing economy, Economic development since independence objectives and achievements of planning, NITI Ayog and its approach to Economic Development, Growth and Distributive Justice, Economic Development Human Development Index, India’s Rank in the World, Environmental Degradation and Challenges, Sustainable Development, Environmental Policy
- National Income and its Concepts and Components: India’s National Accounts, Demographic Issues, Poverty and Inequalities, Occupational Structure and Unemployment, Various Schemes of Employment and Poverty Eradication, Issues of Rural Development and Urban Development
- Indian Agriculture: Irrigation and Water, Inputs of Agriculture, Agricultural Strategy and Agricultural Policy, Agrarian Crisis and Land Reforms, Agricultural Credit, Minimum Support Prices, Malnutrition and Food Security, Indian Industry, Industrial Policy, Make in India, Startup and Stand-up Programmes, SEZs and Industrial Corridors, Energy and Power Policies, Economic Reforms, Liberalisation, Privatisation and Globalization, International Trade and Balance of Payments, India and WTO
- Financial Institutions: RBI and Monetary Policy, Banking and Financial Sector Reform, Commercial Banks and NPAs, Financial Markets, Instabilities, Stock Exchanges and SEBI, Indian Tax System and Recent changes, GST and its Impact on Commerce and Industry: Centre, States Financial Relations, Financial Commissions, Sharing of Resources and Devolution, Public Debt and Public Expenditure, Fiscal Policy and Budget
- i) Characteristics/ Basic Features of Andhra Pradesh Economy after Bifurcation in 2014: Impact of Bifurcation on the Endowment of Natural Resources and State Revenue, Disputes of River Water Sharing and their Impact on Irrigation, New Challenges to Industry and Commerce, New Initiatives to Develop Infrastructure, Power and Transport, Information Technology and E-governance, Approaches to Development and Initiatives in Agriculture, Industry and Social Sector, Urbanisation and Smart Cities, Skill Development and Employment, Social Welfare Programmes
- ii) A.P. Reorganisation Act, 2014: Economic Issues Arising out of Bifurcation, Central Government’s Assistance for Building a New Capital, Compensation for Loss of Revenue, Development of Backward Districts, Issues such as Vizag Railway Zone, Kadapa Steel Factory, Dugarajapatnam Airport, Expressways and Industrial Corridors etc., Special Status and Special Assistance, Controversy, Government’s Stand and Measure
- General Geography: Earth in Solar System, Motion of the Earth, Concept of Time, Season, Internal Structure of the Earth, Major Landforms and their Features, Atmosphere: Structure and Composition, Elements and Factors of Climate, Airmasses and Fronts, Atmospheric Disturbances, Climate Change. Oceans: Physical, Chemical and Biological Characteristics, Hydrological Disasters, Marine and Continental Resources
- Physical: World, India and Concerned State, Major Physical Divisions, Earthquakes, Landslides, Natural Drainage, Climatic Changes and Regions, Monsoon, Natural Vegetation, Parks and Sanctuaries, Major Soil Types, Rocks and Minerals
- Social: World, India and Concerned State: Distribution, Density, Growth, Sex-ratio, Literacy, Occupational Structure, SC and ST Population, Rural-Urban Components, Racial, Tribal, Religious and Linguistic Groups, Urbanisation, Migration and Metropolitan Regions
- Economic: World, India and Concerned State: Major Sectors of Economy, Agriculture, Industry and Services, Salient Features, Basic Industries-Agro, Mineral, Forest, Fuel and Manpower Based Industries, Transport and Trade, Pattern and Issues.
Paper 2 General Aptitude: This paper contains three sections - A. General Mental and Psychological Abilities, B. Science and Technology and C. Current Events of Regional, National and International Importance.
A. General Mental and Psychological Abilities
- Logical Reasoning and Analytical Ability
- Number Series, Coding-Decoding
- Problems Related to Relations
- Shapes and their Sub-sections, Venn Diagram
- Problems Based on Clocks, Calendar and Age
- Number System and Order of Magnitude
- Ratio, Proportion and Variation
- Central Tendencies - Mean, Median, Mode
- Power and Exponent, Square, Square Root, Cube Root, H.C.F. and L.C.M.
- Percentage, Simple and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss
- Time and Work, Time and Distance, Speed and Distance
- Area and Perimeter of Simple Geometrical Shapes, Volume and Surface Area of Sphere, Cone, Cylinder, Cubes and Cuboids
- Lines, Angels and Common Geometrical Figures — Properties of Transverse and Parallel Lines Properties of Triangles, Quadrilateral, Rectangle, Parallelogram and Rhombus
- Introduction to algebra — BODMAS, simplification of weird symbols
- Data interpretation, Data Analysis, Data sufficiency, and Concepts of Probability
- Emotional Intelligence: Understanding and analyzing emotions, Dimensions of Emotional Intelligence, Coping with Emotions, Empathy and Coping with Stress
- Social Intelligence, Interpersonal Skills, Decision Making, Critical Thinking, Problem-solving and Assessment of Personality
B. Science and Technology
- Nature and Scope of Science and Technology
- Information and Communication Technology
- Technology in Space & Defence
- Energy Requirement and Efficiency
- Environmental Science
C. Current Events of Regional, National and International Importance
Section C will test candidates' knowledge of current events. Therefore, candidates should be aware regarding the ongoing events of regional, national and international importance.
APPSC Group 1 Syllabus 2019 – Mains
The Mains exam is further dived into five papers and interview. The first paper of the exam is qualifying in nature, i.e. marks secured in this paper will not be considered while calculating the total marks of candidates. The complete list of syllabus has been given below.
Paper for English
The English paper will contain descriptive type questions. Check below for the list of topics prescribed by APPSC for General English paper.
2. Letter Writing
3. Press Release/ Appeal
4. Report Writing
5. Writing on Visual Information
6. Formal Speech
7. Precis Writing
8. Reading Comprehension
9. English Grammar
Paper for Telugu
2. Elaborate Thought of Poem/ Verse
3. Precis Writing
5. Formal Speech
6. Prepare Statements for Publicity Media
7. Letter Writing
8. Debate Writing
9. Application Writing
10. Report Writing
11. Dialogue Writing/ Skills
13. Telugu Grammar
Paper 1 – General Essay
In this paper, candidates will have to write total three essays; one essay from each section. Each essay will carry 50 marks. Candidates can check the topics required for the paper in the table below.
Cultural and Historical Events
Issues Related to Civic Awareness
Paper 2: History, Culture and Geography of India and Andhra Pradesh
Name of section
History And Culture of India
History and Culture of Andhra Pradesh
Geography: India and Andhra Pradesh
Paper 3: Polity, Constitution, Governance, Law and Ethics
Name of section
Indian Polity and Constitution
Public Administration and Governance
Ethics in Public Service and Knowledge of Law
Paper 4: Economy and Development of India and Andhra Pradesh
Name of section
Major Challenges of Indian Economy
Resource Mobilization in Indian Economy
Resource mobilization in Andhra Pradesh
Government Budgeting in Andhra Pradesh
Agriculture Development in Andhra Pradesh
Industrial Development and Policy
Industrial Policy of the Andhra Pradesh Government
Infrastructure in India
Infrastructure Development in Andhra Pradesh
Paper 5: Science and Technology
APPSC Group 1 Mains Paper 5 will comprise questions related to science anf technology. The topics required for Paper 5 has been given below.
Name of section
Integration of Science, Technology and Innovation for better human life
Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
Indian Space Programme
Indian's Energy Needs, Efficiency and Resources
Development vs. Nature/ Environment
Environmental Pollution and Solid Waste Management
Nature, Scope and Applications of Biotechnology and Nanotechnology in India
Human Diseases - Microbial Infections
Issues related to Intellectual Property Rights in the field of Science and Technology
More like APPSC Group 1
APPSC Group 1 Result 2019
APPSC Group 1 Result 2019 - APPSC will release the Andhra Pradesh PSC Group 1 result in May 2019....
APPSC Group 1 Cut off 2019
APPSC Group 1 Cut Off 2019 – The APPSC Group 1 Cutoff for preliminary exam will be released in Ap...
APPSC Group 1 Application Form 2019
APPSC Group 1 Application Form 2019 - APPSC has released APPSC Group 1 application form on Januar...
APPSC Group 1 Notification 2019
APPSC Group 1 Notification 2019 – APPSC has released the notification of APPSC Group 1 exam on De...
APPSC Group 1 Hall Ticket 2019
APPSC Group 1 Hall Ticket 2019 - APPSC will release APPSC Group 1 hall ticket for preliminary exa...